Film Noir Trailer Task 6

After gathering the footage Matthew Roberts edited them into a trailer just over 2 minutes long. Most of the video had a Blue Ice filter placed on it in Photoshop 2016 and the text titles were edited using After Effects 2015. Below you can see the video prior and after added in the special effects.

The footage used was a mixture of the Cyber-shot and DSLR camera, the audio used was recorded on the recorder, camera and mobile phones, the song used was ‘I Am Dust’ by Gary Numan. This song was appropriate to use as is categorised as ‘Cyber Punk’ and matches the style of our trailer.

The use of a popular song in a niche genre and well played video game will attract two types of audiences as well as our target audience 15-30 year olds (the seriousness and the drama wouldn’t be appropriate for children and older generations to watch). As it wasn’t made with a high budget company there are a few elements that could’ve been improved such as the amplitude levels between voice lines and background music. Additionally there are a few acting parts that could’ve been improved such as the dead bodies as there are slight movements of them breathing, there are a few shots that appear darker than other (there needed to be a balance) and voice lines as some may not sound as convincing. For a trailer based on a small portion of a video game I believe that it is pretty well made, near to professional standards. Some shots such as the last bloody laughing scene, detailed dead body injuries and fight scenes are going to keep audiences captivated and want to watch the full length movie.

Once finishing we showed the trailer to groups, we got them to answer various questions as to what could be improved. In these sheets we can see that there was a “good choice of music” however one group did believe that it was a bit too loud and it was difficult to hear Thomas Duncan when he was narrating in the video. Additionally some people agreed that the lighting and music connects well with one another. All three groups did however agree that there was good use of props and costumes though there were a few issues with acting which is understandable as we hadn’t acted before, except for our practice film noir trailer where I was the main character.

Being the assistant editor I was given the chance to create an additional trailer as well as critique Matthew Roberts on his first draft. With this trailer I used all the footage that was available, however there were some shot that I were not able to get due to technical difficulties but I was able to download the original trailer and use those clips instead. The programme I used to do so was Adobe Premiere Pro, a programme I am very familiar with.

After creating this trailer I then showed my team and these were the responses:

-“a few improvements in would say tighten up the edits on some of the start of the clips, moving so easy of the clips by like a second would make it flow with the music slightly better; the gun can be done by darkening the shot and then lightening it for a single frame”

-“Oh and I would suggest try speeding up the hitting scenes by a few seconds as the blows are struck, it makes it look like there’s more force behind it and the sudden slow down back to the regular speed when contact is made helps sell the impact”

-“the other thing was you can edit the music so it ends with the actual song end rather than fading it out”

Groups Film Noir Blog:

Zachary Creer:

Thomas Duncan:

Matthew Roberts: 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s